This past weekend I attended a women's conference at church called "Bringing Home The Wonder Of Christmas." It was a nice time, and I heard some wonderful tips. One of the best was to only do things if you plan to make them meaningful. My family has already decided to fill two Operation Christmas Child boxes this year just as we have in the past. I've typically just got the box, wrapped it, bought the stuff, and turned it in-task accomplished. I decided to take a different approach and try to make it more meaningful this year. I set a date on the calendar to be our shopping day, and have begun talking to Celeste about how we are going to be giving to a little boy and little girl who may not have toys or even a Mommy or Daddy. She is really starting to get it. After just a few simple conversations to build up anticipation for our boxes, tonight, I asked her what we should get for our little girl's box. She started in, "Well, a teddy bear, some markers,.... and a Mommy and Daddy." The tears welled up in my eyes-it was just so sweet. She also mentioned that we needed to put a sign in the box. I asked, "A sign? What kind of sign?" She said, "One that says,I love you Veeerrryy much." All I can say is that the little bit of effort to make this process more meaningful this year has already been so worthwhile. I will never forget those precious comments made by my three year old.I must add that it has also given me the chance to focus on how God's gift to us is Jesus, the best gift of all, so at Christmas we like to give to others the way God gave to us. She is excited about giving something to these children, and not about what she is going to get...yet.
I challenge you to make your Christmas filled with meaning this year too and not just simply, filled.
No comments:
Post a Comment