Occasionally you hit those bumps in the road...the last several days have just been one road bump after the other. I need a break!I have been battling off a stomach bug for the last couple of days, and just when I started to be able to walk around again, my daughter gets sick too. I cleaned up the worst case of upchuck that I have ever seen while still having an upset stomach myself. I think it took me twice as long because I was trying not to lose my cookies every 30 seconds. I must admit, I already have a weak stomach. God has definitely graced me with a husband who isn't grossed out like me. But in this case, he wasn't home-ahh! Fortunately, he was home for the next 5 times(let it not be lost that I am sooo grateful), to which I must add were nicely placed into a silver bowl, and not all over the sheets, bedspread, various toys, hair, face, and clothes!! Eww. Poor, poor, Celeste. Motherly love somehow wins out over weak stomach though, and she got all cleaned up, loved on, and put back together.
Today, both of us feeling a bit better, we did venture out of the house for a few errands. I was pretty worn out by the time we headed home. Celeste apparently was feeling a lot better than I was though. I emerged from a bathroom break to my daughter telling me that I needed to be looking up at the ceiling when I leave the bathroom. This is code for "I've done something wrong and I don't want you to see it!" But, in my sick state, the code is lost on me-normally I would've known to look straight down. Even though the code was lost I did feel that something wasn't going to turn out good. I still obliged her though. I was hoping for the best. Seeing nothing on the ceiling, I stop about two yards out of the bathroom and looked at Celeste. She has this serious expression on her face. I look down. "Oh no!" I exclaim. "Look what your brother had done to the floor!" To which she solemnly nods her head back and forth and points a finger at her chest and taps it gently against herself. At least she didn't lie, right? The puzzle falls together in my head....look at the ceiling, not at the floor, my FOUR YEAR OLD WHO KNOWS BETTER HAS DONE THIS!!!! This, is an orange marker. There is a very large loop drawn below my feet and extending almost to the entrance of the bathroom. As a straight line it would have been at least 15 feet long. Sigh. Laugh a little on the inside. I tell Celeste to help me clean up the mess and then she will have to sit in time out. She scrubs. I scrub. She scrubs. I scrub. This will take forever! "Okay, Celeste, go sit in time out while Mommy finishes." She disappears around the corner to the steps and sits quietly. I break a sweat scrubbing the remaining mess. I then round the corner to the steps and begin to work through the reconciling process with Celeste. I stop mid sentence because I am noticing something orange catching my eye..."NO!!!!!!" More marker streaks. A lot more. No laughing on the inside this time. This second strip of orange marker was more than double the length of the first discovery, and to Celeste's credit, a lot more artistic. No simple loop line here. Oh no, it turned, zig-zagged, doubled back, everything. She sat in time out the whole time it took me to clean up the mess. Finally, after talking, and asking why she would do this she told me, "Because Mommy, it's a road for my cars." Huh, NEVER do that again. Kisses, hugs, and I won't Mommy, I promise. I promise she won't either. Our markers have mysteriously disappeared...for now.
Celeste was truly penitent, and it's amazing how much that erases the pain of the offence. I still can't figure out what came over her! I love her endlessly (Celeste, you will get this one day when your a Mommy too), but tonight I can't help but be...
so glad hubby is home!
I'm going to Starbucks and NOT ordering an 80 calorie Small Nonfat Vanilla Ruibos Tea Latte like usual. Peppermint Mocha with whipped cream all the way-even if that means it's my dinner!
All I can really say to this is WOW!
ReplyDeleteAnd...
At least that Berenstain Bears story clicked...the "not lying" one.
You are an awesome mommy! I might've picked up the marker the second go-round and colored my child's face! And, yeah, on the upchuck. Not a fun deal. But, how blessed they are that they have a mommy who will clean up and then hug!
ReplyDelete