Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The House of Pleasant Potential

...Is about to become a home!

We are so excited to say that we have a house!! Though I can't speak for Caleb, I know that I feel like God has directed our steps throughout this home buying process. This home is exceptional in that it hadn't even been listed long enough to appear on the MLS listing, but our realtor had caught wind of it being on the market.

It is a one story, 3 bedroom, 1.25 baths (I say this because the .5 bath is really about the size of half a half bath :)), 1030 square feet, two car garage, and large back yard. It is in an older neighborhood and still located in Mckinney close to 75. Caleb's commute to work will still be fantastic, and church will be even closer!

We are scheduled to close on the home on the 23rd of April. So, we should be moved in by the beginning of May. This means that between now and then we need to get rid of about half of our belongings. We began this process last weekend by holding our first garage sale. We will also be selling some furniture on craigslist closer to the time of our actual move. It is amazing how freeing it is to get rid of "things" once you start!

There are definitely repairs that will need to be done to this home,but it seems like we may be able to handle a lot of them ourselves. And, it is livable in the current state...though I do understand that everyone may have a differing opinion about what that might look like. So, it is livable enough for US. :-)

Here is a list of repairs:
1. Electric work- Replace Fuse/Panel box so the home doesn't burn down, get all the electrical outlets grounded, and convert kitchen outlets to all be GFCI (done before move in, I'm a housefire phobic which has a story behind it, I wasn't always!)
2. Get a new AC Compressor, and have extra insulation blown into attic
3.Seal up doors around Heating Unit and Water Heater so we don't get Carbon Monoxide poisoning (easy fix, will be done immediately, can't chance that either!)
4.Replace plywood that is rotting on the eaves, and put up new gutters
5. Patch up various holes in drywall
6. Paint
7. Plumbing-Repair leak under bathroom sink...could end up being costly if the metal pipes are corroded and fragile and continue "breaking" as the plumber tries to fix the leak..yikes.
8. Reverse the door that opens up to the garage.
9. Replace broken bedroom door
10. Fix garage doors so that they open
11. Replace tiles in bathrooms, install real sink vanities, replace tub
12. Install new windows throughout

List of possible improvements for later...
1. Hardwoods throughout...(minus the bedrooms if my husband gets his way;))
2. New countertops and sink/reconfigure kitchen layout maybe
3. Wood fence around backyard instead of metal
4. Convert garage to Master Bedroom/Bath or second living space,den/office/bath
5. Add a nice patio, or screened in back porch with roof and ceiling fan
6. Add crown molding
7. Replace any remaining paneling
8. Update ceilings with a more modern finish (it is swirled with plaster currently) some in circles, others in streaks...just random

Yes, this list is long and large. And, considering that this is a five year plan house maybe we won't even get beyond making all of the repairs that the inspector suggested, but I am really hoping that we can meld the two lists together, and somehow get everything done before we sell it. And then, do this all over again! We figure if we do this two times with an increasingly more expensive house, if the Lord so blesses us, we will be able to by our last house and have it paid for in full by the time we are 55. Move at 30, 35, and then 40 to a home with a 15 year mortgage...

In regards to plans, we keep these in mind...http://www.scripturemenu.com/Appetizer.html?id=1

I'm sure all of this was far more than you could possibly be interested in!
I think I might need to start a home improvement blog just for the house. Woohoo!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That yard is HUGE! It's going to be a fun place for the kiddos. And, I love the "Frash" paint. :) Hardwoods sound beautiful! So happy for you guys and think your plan is amazing.

    ReplyDelete