What better time than summer to try something new?!
My friend Melissa and I have embarked on a cooking adventure. The plan is basically to cook for an entire day, and then freeze all your meals and have food for a month. We are both excited about the potential outcome!
This is something I have been wanting to try for a long time, so I am glad to finally give it a whirl! Last night we did all of our shopping. It took us about two hours and cost around 160 dollars a piece. We then unloaded the groceries and started prepping all of the food. I'd say we started prepping food around 9 and finished around 11:30. It was definitely a solid 2 hours. However, when you do this with a friend, it just equals fun!!
The best part of the experience so far, aside from spending time with Melissa, is enjoying all of the fantastic smells from the fresh herbs, zested lemons, minced garlic, and cooking chicken. Can't say that I didn't want to sample some of it!
Today we plan to cook and assemble most of the food. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
If anyone else is interested the website we are using can be found at onceamonthmom.com I'm sure there are many other sites available for this same concept, but this is one my friends here have used so I went with it. :)
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A lady I used to work for followed this same kind of concept, except that she did this twice a year. She would shop for meat, non-perishables, household items and toiletries every 6 months. Then, she'd spend an entire day preparing dishes (putting together casseroles, mixing up meatloaves, making side dishes, etc), then putting them all in freezer bags before freezing. Then, all she had to do was thaw and bake before dinner. It was a LOT of work for about 3-4 days, but she didn't have to do it again for 6 months! If I weren't such a couponer, I'd be doing the once a month thing for sure!
ReplyDeleteWow, Sarai...that is amazing. I couldn't imagine doing all of that shopping, prepping, and cooking times 6!! It took us from 11AM to 9PM with a 10 minute lunch break and an out to eat dinner to just do the meals for one month. I think it might take me 6 DAYS to cook and prep enough for 6 months! I think that must feel very rewarding. I wonder if I would start making more elaborate lunches if I did that because I do like to cook. :) I tried to do as much price matching as I could to keep our costs lower, and maybe if you planned far enough in advance you might be able to slowly stock up your materials for the BIG DAY. It would definitely require more planning though.
ReplyDeleteHope you are enjoying a rest break after camp. Don't you guys usually head to the beach?
And, PS, thanks for the comment. I was pretty sure I had no readers since I hadn't posted in sooo long! :)