Disclaimer: Of course all situations are unique to personalities, individual families, and preferences, but I thought I would share one of the miscommunications we have had and solved in our house. We heard a sermon on Valentine's Day about the differences between men and women...men are compartmentalized and use checklists, women are involved, and everything in life is connected to everything else...with this in mind I share the following:
Laundry Needs To Be Done
His Perspective:
Wash. Check. Dry. Check. Fold. Check.
What This Means:
Each step of the laundering process is its own separate compartment. Doing any of these three tasks means laundry is getting done. One load washed sitting in washer, one check. One load sitting in the dryer, another check. Another clean load in laundry basket, another check.
He Says: I've done a total of 3 checks so far, my wife said that laundry needs to be done, she will really appreciate this! I've completed 3 entire tasks!
Motivated By: Love for Wife (I'm helping her out), Necessity
Her Perspective: Wash, Dry, Fold.
What This Means:
The laundering process is one complete unit. One does not wash, without drying, without immediately folding. This is based on the interconnectedness of the laundry to one's professional work life and looking our best when dressed. Anything short of wash,dry, fold is just an incomplete task left for her to finish, or worse, to rewash, re dry, and fold to prevent the extra work of ironing clothes left unfolded in a laundry basket.
She Says: I'm perplexed. I know he said he was going to do laundry. Why isn't he finishing what he clearly said he would do? Doesn't he know this is creating more work for me by having to iron or costing us more money to re-run the laundry? Is he not concerned about putting his best foot forward at work?
Motivated By: Love for Husband( Presentation of self at work), Efficiency
Result: Miscommunication
Solution: Compromise of course!
Her Solution: One load of laundry washed, dried, and folded is much more appreciated by her and still equals 3 checks to him...He is still doing the same number of checks and it takes him less effort, and he is reaping appreciation of a job well done, as opposed to ending up with a perplexed wife!
Or,
She can be notified to fold laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer if he isn't going to fold it immediately.
Or,
She can iron! NOT!
Caleb, you are the absolute best! Thank you so much for all you do to help, and thank you for being a man that will even touch the laundry at all, and on top of it listening to me explain our different perspectives this morning without getting upset. ;) xoxo
Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
SOOOOOOO funny because it's SOOOOOOOOO true!!!! Way to put it to words!
ReplyDelete