Monday, August 24, 2009

A Funny? Bunny Story

When I was a little girl I had a pet bunny. This bunny was the cuddliest, softest, brown bunny you have ever seen. She was named Thumper. A perfect name for a bunny. My dad built a cage for her out back in the chicken yard, and that is where she stayed. I would visit her and pet her ears and talk to her. As the time passed the novelty of having a pet bunny began to wear off. I visited her less often. She eventually grew pretty old. Now, my uncle and aunt had also picked up having bunnies, but for a different purpose, to eat them. Not a problem...rabbit tastes like chicken. One day I came home to find that my bunny Thumper had been given away to my aunt and uncle. Though this was upsetting to me at the time, I wasn't taking proper care of her anymore, and my attachment to her was purely sentimental, but I clearly wasn't happy about her being given away. I adjusted quickly as I was reassured that she was going to be a breeder rabbit, and I thought about how she would probably be better taken care of and I could still visit her whenever I wanted. (My uncles house was just yards away.) And so, Thumper began her life as a breeder rabbit. A problem developed quickly thereafter in that Thumper was too old to breed, so she wasn't an economical benefit in some very tough times for all of us living there on the Mi-Po. There was only one solution. Kill her and eat her. Now, this was told to me by my very well meaning cousins-that their family was planning to kill and eat Thumper soon. Well, the obviously predicatable hysteria insued. I think I pulled my first political protest to try to save the life of the rabbit. It all gets a little "fuzzy" from here, but I think I saved her life for that day. After the political unrest settled though, it wasn't too long after, that Thumper disappeared from her cage. The day I noticed this, I walked over to my uncles house shortly after dinner. My cousins came bounding outside onto the porch just having finished dinner as well. "What happened to Thumper?", I asked. "We ate her." they replied. Inside I was going crazy, but I somehow felt like they were trying to get a rise out of me, so I was stoic in response. All I could think to say was, "Did she taste good?" in an attempt to cover up any care about it. "No, she was too tough because she was so old." In my head I screamed, "WHAT!! You went and killed MY rabbit to eat her and then she wasn't any good, so she just got thrown out with the trash!! She died in vain! AHHH." I really have no recollection of anything after that moment. It's washed from my memory. I probably went home and had a fit of some sort. :-)

Oh well. I had to get over it. What was done was done.

Disclaimer: This is a story which I laugh about wholeheartedly now. It is one of those things that is horrifying in the moment, but somehow turns hysterically funny with time. I enjoy a good laugh when I share it. Who knew I would so closely be able to identify with my future sister in law who befriended a rooster, named Rebecca, who later got eaten by her neighbors...granted she did live in Guatemala! :-)

I wasn't the best in caring for my pets I guess. I will have to share the story about finding my frozen Guinea Pig sometime.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA! Love this story!

    Also love being able to comment!

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny. I actually think I remember this episode! You dont really think we would intentionally try to rub it in your face that we ate your rabbit, would you? Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, no, of course not...I mean, "I" certainly NEVER did anything like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure that I had nothing to do with the eating of that rabbit. I distinctly remember some sort of crusty growth that came out of that rabbits ears all the time. It offended my genteeeel sensibilties. Nope......you got some other cousin in mind!

    ReplyDelete